Lido MEV policy for the Staking Router

Indeed there are key assumptions, but that doesn’t mean that those assumptions should be fixed! The idea behind the assumptions is “understand where we are, understand what’s available” and then figure out how that may affect “where we want to go”. They should be revisited, especially in an environment, like Ethereum, which is constantly evolving.

Wherever and whenever there are options to advance credible neutrality of the network in the near term, even steps that may introduce complexity, the Lido community (from contributors to Node Operators) has shown a willingness to think on its feet and adapt. Two great examples of this are the Relay Maintenance Committee (and the recent work to vet new relays as options for Lido Node Operators) as well as when when Flashbots proposed a method to use min-bid to increase censorship resistance Lido Node Operator MEV Boost min-bid guidance, which was added to the 2.0 policy.

I would challenge that “nothing is being done” here with evidence to the contrary (above, two points re: new relays and min-bid) and below (re: work being done to really understand the state of the network and creating an ability to really see how the network participation may be affected by changing circumstances in the future).

Unfortunately this resource greatly misunderstands what censorship is and egregiously misstates when, how, and how often, it happens.

I’m hoping that the analyses created and submitted as a part of the of the open RFP: Ethereum censorability monitor that LEGO is running will be a lot more useful than the mevwatch resource.

What I believe we need to do is:

1. get a handle on how bad censorship actually is (or isn’t) on the network (mevwatch and other similarly superficial approaches don’t cut it)
  2. continuously re-assess options to advance credible neutrality and minimize service degradation and determine how they may be implementable on-chain
  3. continue to do as the Lido DAO has done, which is to take all information into account with a long view on network health and by involving as many relevant stakeholders and finding implementation strategies that are practical and market-force aligned
1 Like