Rating Lido DAO’s maturity with DAOmeter

Rating Lido DAO’s maturity with DAOmeter

Hey Lido community,

I’m Ann the Governance Researcher on the StableLab team, and we recently launched DAOmeter, a maturity rating system for DAOs.

The goal of DAOmeter is to serve as a public good by providing an effective method of evaluating and benchmarking the maturity levels of various protocols. This is achieved through a scoring system that encompasses key categories within protocols, such as Community, Voting, Documentation, Security, and more.

Based on our evaluation, we have assigned Lido a maturity score of 76%

We identified several areas of improvement. Lido only received 42% in the Voting category because:

-Delegates in Lido are not compensated
-There is no reported list of active delegates

I’d like to clarify that DAO maturity doesn’t equal “decentralization”. We provide a 40 page report on the breakdown of the score as well as the research methods behind DAOmeter, which you can find here.

As we’re committed to the continuous improvement and development of this tool, from the broader community. Please feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, and insights with us as we work to improve the DAOmeter scoring system.

Cheers,
Ann

3 Likes

Thank you for providing the DAOmeter report on Lido. I noticed that the absence of a delegation framework and compensation for delegates led to a lower score in the Voting category. However, some DAOs may not require a delegation framework to function effectively. Can you please provide more information on how your team evaluates DAOs without a delegation framework and why certain features are given more weight in the scoring system?

4 Likes

Hello Jenya_K, thanks for your question. DOAmeter is a tool developed to establish governance standards and transparency in the ecosystem. Based on former examples, we have seen that delegation is a model that has been quite foundational and a good practice for decentralized governance. So while it is true that some protocols might not need it in a certain stage, as the protocol scales, having some sort of delegation model (even for example, representatives like elected committees) can improve the engagement rate within the DAO. Each category has its own weight and some are weighted more than others. For a detailed account of how we assigned weights and allocations, please see our methodology report here: [DAOmeter]

We are always open to changing the model as we see things develop and always looking for feedback!

2 Likes

Thank you @StableLab for sharing your perspective! I understand your point, but I was wondering if you could elaborate on how having compensated delegates and a reported list of active delegates could potentially improve the governance process? Additionally, what are some of the risks that this could help mitigate?

4 Likes