Lido Community Lifeguards Initiative

Thanks @Alex_L and all of LEGO :pray:

Iā€™m excited to be given this opportunity as a community member to lead the Lido Community Lifeguards as the coordinator.

To everyone who applied to be a Lido Community Lifeguardā€¦ this is just the beginning! The coordinator role is positioned to kick-start this initiative and set out the roadmap to bring more of you on board. So keep looking out for future announcements as we develop and grow the Lido staking community together :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again to the LEGO Council for this opportunity. Iā€™m ready to dive in and make a positive impact in our community.

14 Likes

Hey hey, Community Lifeguards multisig is set up - 0x6faCCcE132d5C397068807Ca73883d3df198dFF4 with following members and 2/3 threshold:

Alex_L (LEGO council) - 0x3786C091Ed68d5B58EFAE5193e54c043Bde3b8f6
Izzy (LEGO council) - 0x783EA934d543CD1ccfd920639A7539a0BD3895e2
EridianAlpha (CLI lead) - 0xE3e34FA93575AF41BEF3476236E1A3CDb3F60B85

Tokens according to the Initiative plan will be transferred to it from LEGO mulstisig.

7 Likes

2023 - Q3 Community Lifeguard Report

This was the first quarter of the Community Lifeguard Initiative, with the proposal being passed on the 27th July. As the Community Lifeguard Coordinator my task was to coordinate with Lido DAO contributors to build the framework and plan for the Community Lifeguards over the short, medium and longer term.

A lot has been planned, and thereā€™s a lot of contributions to make over the next few months that will be more than one lifeguard can provide! Therefore, I will be reaching out to the other Community Lifeguard applicants who applied above (@enti, @Stakesaurus, @Nneoma_StableLab, @Emilie_hifi, @defiyeti, @concentricspheres) to discuss interviews and availability. If there is anyone else who would still like to apply but didnā€™t when this forum post was first announced, please let them know they can still apply.

Ok, so what has been achieved in Q3?

Community Staking Podcast:

The Community Staking Podcast series has been running weekly with a range of guests from Ethereum solo home stakes, staking educators as well as Lido DAO contributors. The aim of this series was to provide a space to allow for more nuanced conversations to be held about Lido rather than just the viral hate that is found on X/Twitter. Hosting a range of guests gives a voice to the wider staking community, not just the loudest voice.

Iā€™ve enjoyed recording this series and I have also found it to be of benefit to Lido DAO contributors. The contributors to Lido DAO are passionate and motivated to improve the protocol and (despite what the loudest voices on X/Twitter say) they do want Ethereum to succeed and are aligned with the values of a decentralized and credibly neutral network. Are we living in that utopia today? No. Does that mean that all the contributors should simply turn off their laptops and resign? Also no. There are opinions other than hate for Lido and Iā€™m glad that I have been able to give a voice to those opinions for the wider Ethereum staking community to hear and make their own decisions.

The full podcast series can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhvXP1-8VKZQGEMRNteLRJ3xrxYvZlPEs

Community Staking Contributor Series Blog:

The first blog post in the Community Staking Contributor Series was published. I thought it was important to raise the question ā€œIs Lido good for Ethereum?ā€ as a way to articulate my own thoughts and experiences of Lido and the DAO contributors. The article was generally positively received and came at a time of heightened Lido discussions in the Ethereum staking community. There are more posts planned in this series, which I hope will provide additional context and nuance to a heated and complex topic!

Simple DVT Preparations:

The Simple DVT proposal is a big step towards permissionless operators running validators for Lido. As a Community Lifeguard, promoting and supporting this initiative is a top priority. This will be the first interface for solo stakers to participate directly with Lido until the Community Staking Module and will be the foundation for growing node operators. I supported NOM with creating and refining the questionnaires and forms used by interested stakers to apply to the initiative. This also involved extensive testing of both the Obol and SSV protocols.

Lido DAO Contributor Meetings and Discussions:

While less tangible than the other contributions (content creation, podcasts, etc.) a significant amount of my time has been spent in meetings and on calls with Lido DAO contributors. These meetings covered a wide variety of topics from V2 module designs, bonds and slashing analysis, hardware providers, staking software, and more! I have found them useful opportunities for providing a solo staker perspective and the feedback I have received is that my inputs have been valuable.

DVT Protocols

As a Community Lifeguard, I have been a part of the DVT module design discussions and focused on voicing the opinions and concerns of solo stakers. These conversations will continue as the DVT modules develop.

LEGO Grants

As part of the Community Lifeguards Initiative proposal, Community Lifeguards can propose grants for ā€œexemplary participation and value addā€. @Stakesaurus was awarded a grant of 1000 DAI for his contribution to staking documentation and supporting staking workshops. This is a ā€œno-strings-attachedā€ grant that I felt was well deserved and benefited the entire Ethereum staking community. You can view his documentation here: https://twitter.com/stakesaurus/status/1709419025435164696

Q4 Plans

The end of the year will only get busier, but I hope that if we can onboard additional Community Lifeguards we will be able to increase the pace of content creation and community outreach. DevConnect is a focus for Q4 with an in-person DVT workshop planned as well as attending the Staking Summit and the EthStaker Staking Gathering. Supporting the Simple DVT trial will be a big part of Q4 as I will be providing support for solo stakers as well as collecting feedback to relay back to the DAO contributors to improve the process for future trials.

Overall, my experience in this role so far has been hugely positive. Iā€™ve enjoyed getting to be a part of the complex narrative that is the Ethereum staking landscape and I look forward to continuing this journey! My goal is for there to be more people running Ethereum validators from home each day, and I genuinely feel that Lido will be an important part of making that a reality for thousands of people.

Fees & Payment

For the contributions completed in Q3 2023 I request that LEGO considers payment based on my performance to the Ethereum address 0xaB402d5F93FdF5Ec1ADe26e9C295A04dDc522A06

12 Likes

Proposing two new community lifeguards :ring_buoy: :ring_buoy:

As outlined in the Lido Community Lifeguard Q3 report above, I believe the time to onboard additional Community Lifeguards has arrived.

With the Simple DVT module underway and events filling up the calendar, itā€™s a perfect time to onboard two new Community Lifeguards. The role description remains the same as detailed at the start of this forum post, and joining in Q4 2023 would give time for onboarding ready for a very busy Q1 2024!

Specific activities and actions for Community Lifeguards for the remainder of Q4 2023 and Q1 2024:

• Present updates on the regular NOM community calls.
  • Collaborating with Lidoā€™s marketing and communication teams to develop and implement strategies for increasing Community Operator engagement and awareness.
  • Identifying opportunities for LEGO grants (e.g. community staker tooling) and facilitating the grants process for such initiatives.
  • Participating in community events, webinars, and AMAs as members of the Lido ecosystem and staker community.
  • Creating public knowledge bases for stakers interested in participating as Lido Node Operators across different module design types, starting with the Simple DVT module.

As part of this proposal, I would also like to propose that the funding window of the Community Lifeguards Initiative be extended to Q2 2024. This is not a request for additional funds but simply an extension for the window in which the already allocated funds can be used, which was originally proposed to end in Q4 2023.

I have spoken to @enti and @Stakesaurus to confirm that they are still available for the role and are happy for me to propose them as the latest Community Lifeguards. Both candidates have been valuable contributors to the Lido community and have shown themselves to be perfect candidates for the role. Here are just a few examples of there contributions:

I would recommend re-reading their applications in the comments above to hear in their own words why they would be best suited to join this initiative.

I believe these two candidates would be perfect additions to the Community Lifeguard team, promoting the decentralization of Ethereum staking through community outreach, education, and community staker support for Lido modules. They both have strong opinions and convictions about the future of Ethereum. Being a Lido Community Lifeguard is not an easy role, requiring a deep understanding of the Lido ecosystem and the broader Ethereum community. It demands active participation, including attending community events, engaging in discussions, and providing support.

In conclusion, I am confident that the inclusion of @enti and @Stakesaurus as the latest Lido Community Lifeguards will greatly benefit the initiative.

I invite the community to provide feedback on this proposal and show their support for our potential new Lifeguards. I look forward to continuing working together to ensure the safety and success of the Lido community :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I support the proposal. Great job, @Eridian!

1 Like

Thank you @Eridian!
Iā€™m excited to get more community members involved in this initiativešŸ’›

2 Likes

Just wanted to pass by to first thank @Eridian for the confidence and support, and also express my excitement to move forward and hopefully contribute to the success of solo stakers in Lido and the whole space. Iā€™ve been working for almost a year now to study the challenges of individuals and small communities to get involved in staking, and to help foster new communities to grow with great success (weā€™re already seeing growth of nodes in Latam!).

Also very happy to see both nominations be from regions where community staking can have the most impact.

5 Likes

Thank you for the nomination @Eridian!

Growing the solo stakers community in Southeast Asia is no mean feat but I believe we will be able to break new grounds on adoption as Staking Router Modules (e.g. Simple DVT) continue to lower both financial and technical barriers to entry.

I look forward to ramping up my efforts together with @enti for Lidoā€™s community of solo stakers and beyond heading into 2024 ā€“ by creating and running more solo staking centric guides + workshops with the layman in mind, as well as serving as a voice for these newly minted solo stakers!

6 Likes

I support the proposal for onboarding @enti and @Stakesaurus!

6 Likes

Thanks Eridian!

Iā€™m glad to tell that LEGO council by the majotiy of votes agreed with the proposed candidates, @Stakesaurus and @enti welcome on Community Lifeguards duty :saluting_face:

8 Likes

Thanks again for the opportunity @Alex_L and LEGO members :pray:

I look forward to contributing to the solo staking community in SEA and beyond as a Lido Community Lifeguard.

Super excited to get started!

3 Likes

2023 - Q4 Community Lifeguard Report

This was the second quarter of the Community Lifeguard Initiative, with the proposal being passed on the 27th July. While a lot was achieved in this quarter, Iā€™d like to highlight the onboarding of two new community lifeguards @enti and @Stakesaurus as a major milestone for this growing initiative.

Ok, so what has been achieved in Q4?

Community Staking Podcasts:

The Community Staking Podcast series has been running weekly with a range of guests from Ethereum solo home stakes, staking educators as well as Lido DAO contributors. This series aimed to provide a space to allow for more nuanced conversations to be held about Lido rather than just the viral hate that is found on X/Twitter. Hosting a range of guests gives a voice to the wider staking community, not just the loudest voice.

Towards the end of Q4, several guests were participants and supporters of the Lido Simple DVT trials. This was a great opportunity to speak to the first Lido community members and hear about their experiences as part of that initiative. Iā€™ve said in the past that you canā€™t have a community if thereā€™s no reason for people to join and nothing for them to do, and the Simple DVT trials are the first opportunity for this nascent community to begin. By amplifying the experiences of these early participants through this podcast platform as well as Q&A blog posts I hope to show the wider Ethereum staking community, both current and future, that Lido can co-exist and even support Ethereum home stakers.

Community Staking Contributor Series Blog and Q&As:

The Community Staking Contributor Series blog continued with a post ā€œWhy doesnā€™t Lido self-limit?ā€. Thereā€™s been a lot of discussion about the amount of ETH staked in the Lido protocol and I wanted to provide a summary for prospective Lido community members who wanted to understand the discussion. It was also an opportunity to look back over the past 19 months since Lido held the self-limit vote to see how the predictions and concerns played out.

For potential solo stakers reading this post with the question ā€œIs it bad for Ethereum for me to run validators for the Lido protocol?ā€ hopefully this post has given you an insight into the history of the self-limit vote and some additional resources to continue your research.

There was also a new type of blog post in the Contributor Series, the ā€œCommunity Staking Q&Aā€. This was an opportunity for people who preferred a text-based interaction over the video podcast. The initial guests for this series were all Simple DVT participants discussing their backgrounds and experiences as part of the trial:

A wider range of content formats encourages diversity of guests, opinions, and readers so I hope to continue this Q&A format alongside the video podcast series in 2024.

DVT Workshops:

I conducted a live DVT workshop at the Lido Connect event in Istanbul. This workshop demonstrated how to set up both an SSV and Obol DVT operator and followed the instructions used by the Lido Simple DVT participants.

Following this in-person workshop, I conducted two additional online workshops focusing on SSV and Obol setups individually. The goal of all of these workshops was to show how anyone could join the Simple DVT trials even with minimal technical knowledge.

Simple DVT Support:

The Simple DVT initiative got up to full speed in Q4 with a significant amount of my time spent supporting the clusters in both the SSV and Obol cohorts. The majority of the issues were discovered and resolved during the testing phase, with documentation being updated before participants started onboarding. Several issues occurred due to Holesky being a very new network without support for critical infrastructure (e.g. Safe, MEV Boost, etc.) which each had to be debugged and resolved. Overall, the trial has been very successful with the majority of participants getting up and running without any problems. With operators running on a wide range of hardware, in diverse geographic locations, and with a mix of technical abilities, I feel this was a fair representation of the current Ethereum staking ecosystem. Q4 only used Holesky testnet which gave operators a chance to show their reliability and effectiveness in their DVT clusters, with preparation taking place for mainnet clusters in Q1 2024.

New Community Lifeguards Onboarded:

As the Lido community started to grow, propelled by the Simple DVT trials, more support was needed than could be provided by a single Community Lifeguard. On the 23rd of November, I proposed two new Community Lifeguards @enti and @Stakesaurus who were voted on and approved by LEGO. An X Space was hosted to introduce the two new Community Lifeguards and give them a chance to discuss their plans and ambitions in their new role.

Planning started right away for educational initiatives and other outreach programs that could be developed now there were three Community Lifeguards. These plans will continue to develop in Q1 2024 so watch this space :eyes:

While less tangible than the other contributions (content creation, podcasts, etc.) a significant amount of my time has been spent in meetings and on calls with Lido DAO contributors. These meetings covered various topics from V2 module designs, bonds and slashing analysis, hardware providers, staking software, and more! These meetings and discussions continue to be valuable opportunities to give feedback and opinions from solo stakers. Towards the end of Q4 the two new Community Lifeguards @enti and @Stakesaurus began attending these meetings and discussions, further increasing the range of ideas and perspectives discussed.

Q1 2024 Plans:

Educational outreach plans with the other Community Lifeguards. These include educational packages that can be used for example by communities, universities, and individuals who want to learn more about staking, LSTs, and running validators on Ethereum.

Simple DVT support will continue with the expectation that as most of the issues were resolved in the Q3 trial setup it should require less ongoing support. I plan to run a Simple DVT workshop showing Dappnode software giving an even wider reach for potential trial participants.

CSM discussions and (hopefully!) testing will be a personal focus of mine for the whole of 2024.

The Community Staking Podcasts, Contributor Series Blog, and Q&As will continue with a mixture of formats, guests, and discussions to keep the content interesting and relevant.

Direct community engagement will become a large part of the role as there are more community members to interact with. The most direct way for these interactions will be in the #community-staking-general channel in the Lido Discord, but will also include X posts, AMA Discord and Zoom sessions, etc.

Q4 2023 was a big increase in time commitment for the Community Lifeguard Initiative compared to Q3 and I expect Q1 2024 to be even busier. All of the Lido DAO contributors who support this initiative have made the experience truly enjoyable, rewarding, and importantly a great learning opportunity for myself and the Ethereum staking community. I look forward to continuing my contributions to this initiative in Q1 2024 and canā€™t wait to see the Lido community continue to grow!

Fees & Payment

For the contributions completed in Q4 2023 I request that LEGO consider payment based on the individual performance of the Community Lifeguards the Ethereum addresses:

Eridian
0xaB402d5F93FdF5Ec1ADe26e9C295A04dDc522A06

@enti
0x06Fb051a46cC49D99Be778BDd6Dcd3519d3820db

@Stakesaurus
0xAC2bdb872655572f616879eB32E5fB81f336974c

8 Likes

Thank you for this update Eridian.

Looking at it all in one place and seeing the activity thatā€™s happening in the discord itā€™s clear that a lot of work has been done around putting together the foundations for a really strong community staker community!

3 Likes

Wow! What a great work. It is a great pleasure to see significant progress in community initiatives.

Thank you @Eridian! Welcome onboard @enti and @Stakesaurus! I suppose Q1 2024 results will be even more impressive with new LGs.

3 Likes

Today Iā€™m proposing three changes to the Lido Community Lifeguard (CLG) Initiative for LEGOā€™s consideration.

1. Me (@Eridian) stepping down as a CLG at the end of Q1 2024.
  • I have been a CLG for the past 9 months since the inception of the initiative.
  • A lot has been achieved, content created, podcasts recorded, blogs posted, workshops hosted, and more!
  • My personal focus is shifting to a more technical role, and I believe that there are candidates better suited to take the CLG role.
  • I still plan to be an active member of the Lido staking community and will continue to support Simple DVT and CSM. Stepping down only concerns the CLG role of this initiative.
  1. Opening CLG applications for a new lifeguard.
  • This role would start in Q2 2024.
  • Candidates who have already applied for the role as comments to this post should signal their continued interest in the role and share any updated information about what theyā€™ve been doing since their first application that LEGO should now also consider.
  • New applicants are encouraged to apply! I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a CLG and I would recommend the role to anyone who is passionate about Ethereum staking and supporting a growing ecosystem of community stakers.
  1. A new CLG coordinator.
  • This role would start in Q2 2024.
  • This is an open call to anyone who is interested in this role, outlined in the initial post in this thread.
  • My personal recommendation is the current CLG @enti who is keen to step up and take on the role of CLG coordinator. He has been an active and engaged contributor and I believe he would be an ideal candidate to take on the role.

I would like to extend my personal thanks to LEGO for the opportunities afforded to me by this role. I believe the content I have created and the community that has been started will continue to be a strength for Lido for many years to come!

11 Likes

Gm everyone :wave:t3:

Iā€™m NelsonRodMar a Solo Stacker and a long-time crypto user from Western Europe. I think Iā€™m well positioned to represent Lido as a Community Lifeguard :ring_buoy:

Who am I and why me as a Lido Lifeguard ?

Iā€™m a past Web2 developer, passionate about new technologies and this passion led me to learn more about crypto in 2017, and you know, like everyone else here since then Iā€™ve fallen down the rabbit hole and canā€™t go back. Since then Iā€™ve gained a lot of experience on different sides of crypto by trying and reading about everything. I went deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, first by trading coins, then trying new projects on the chain to learn how they work and see all the possibilities made by crypto. And Iā€™ve started to learn more and more about the technological side of crypto.

But it was in 2022 that I started to be more involved, first by buying a DappNode to start running a node, on Gnosis thanks to their promotion, so since 2022 Iā€™ve been running a node on Gnosis (more than 640 days today :tada:). Iā€™ve started to be involved in a few DAOs as much as I can (multisig, trying to find new deals, ā€¦).

And last year I also started to go further in the rabbit hole by switching from Web2 developer to Web3 by learning Solidity. And on the stacking part, when EtherFi made a post about their Operation Solo Stacker, made possible by new advanced technologies like DVT and SSV, Iā€™ve directly applied to be one of them. Because since then, Iā€™ve never run an Ethereum node due to its barrier entry barrier of 32 ETH, and itā€™s during this that I met Eridian. Also more recently Iā€™ve started to be an Eigen Layer Operator on Goerlie.

So with all this experience acquired, I think I fit very well to join the Lido Lifeguard initiative. The recent move of Lido DAO, like the adoption of DVT, and the adoption of new technologies even for a big DAO that already got more than 9 million ETH in staking is really impressive. And Iā€™m experienced either on the theory side or on the technology side that will help onboard a lot of new people in Stacking in my region. I already do this every time I can by pushing people to buy a DappNode and start their own node, because today itā€™s not as complicated as they think.

What do I want to achieve in this role?

By joining this initiative I want to achieve multiple things:

• Push even more people to join (Solo) Stacking in any way possible
  • Engage more with local communities and make things in common on the (Solo) Stacking to push people to join (presentation, meetup, ā€¦)
  • Provide more information and help Lido as much as I can to go further on Staking
  • Be the ā€œreferenceā€ around me on (Solo) Staking so people can get easy answers and content to their questions and be less afraid

Hope this presentation about me will help you,

I canā€™t post any links but you can find me on every social media @ NelsonRodMar,

And if you have any questions about me donā€™t hesitate happy to answer :blush:

EDIT :

I can now add some link (thx Eridan) so here some about me

If I got some other link to idea of work, thread or thing like that I got I will update my post.

7 Likes

Really sad to see you stepping down from the Coordinator role =(

The CLGs have accomplish tremendous things in the last few quarters, and your leadership and initiative were very important factors in getting this initiative off the ground. Your stewardship and coordination efforts in the Simple DVT testnets were invaluable ā€“ so Iā€™m definitely glad that youā€™ll still be contributing in that area (as well as CSM)!

Looking forward to a new member in the CLGs as well as watching the CLGs grow and evolve under the leadership of a new coordinator.

3 Likes

In light of @Eridian stepping down, I want to express my gratitude for his contributions to the initiative and the broader community. Iā€™m excited to see what comes out of this new and more technical chapter.

Iā€™m honored to be recommended as the coordinator, and with this post, Iā€™m formally applying :partying_face:

Why me?

Over the past quarter, Iā€™ve had the pleasure to contribute to the initiative, which has allowed me to work closely with Lido CS contributors or push forward the Community Staking Fleet, among other things (watch out for our Q1 2024 report soon!).

All this has only made me appreciate and want to be more involved with the work being done here for Lido and the whole Ethereum ecosystem.

Coupled with my previous experience coordinating community-focused education and grant programs, like the Gitcoin Grants-featured Token Engineering round the past year, the 10+ Solidity courses in local universities all across Latam, or the ongoing efforts of KipuStakers, I believe I can continue Eridianā€™s work and keep the initiative going.

What do I hope to accomplish?

I always thought of roles like these as removing or abstracting some managerial work so people can focus on what theyā€™re good at. In that same spirit, as a coordinator, I hope to steward and serve the initiative, setting processes and keeping track of our work and goals in a way where Lifeguards can focus on CS.

Thatā€™s, of course, on top of continuing all the work to help bring more solo stakers to Lido and Ethereum, like the content pieces (blog posts & podcast), engagement with other communities, or spreading the word in our circles and conferences.

On a similar note, Iā€™d love to use my this post to ask LEGO to consider extending the program, as the current extension lasts until Q2 2024. Considering the progress so far, and that itā€™s a critical moment for us as the first Simple DVT clusters hit Mainnet, and the Community Staking Module gets closer by the second.

7 Likes

Hi everybody! Iā€™m Feanor from AstroNodes team. I would love to apply to be a Community Lifeguard.

My Background:

I have been interested in crypto for 6 years and operating nodes almost 4 years. I participated lots of testnets on Cosmos, EVM based networks and also popular spesific Layer-1ā€™s as a solo operator. Currently i am ambassador at Obol Network i create contents about DVT and helping tech issues about the people who run nodes. Also I have Avail Educator role in Avail discord and provide tech support to node runners. I created my own validator company called AstroNodes with talented people.

Goals:

As Astronodes team we want to take more role in ethereum staking, because we saw that the Turkish community is lacking in Ethereum staking and there are already a lot of Turkish crypto users and we want to inform them more about Ethereum staking and the way to do that is through Lido. If I am elected as a lifeguard I think I can make good connections with the Turkish community and encourage a lot of people.

I have several ideas to attract the Turkish community and get them involved in Ethereum staking. In particular, I would like to add new content to the content I have created for DVT, draw attention to this area and start a series about it. I want to create a Turkish community interested in Ethereum staking and establish an active group. Depending on the size of this group, I want to increase our number and develop ourselves with various events, especially workshops.

On the global front, I want to analyze the fate of Lido through my research and make technological suggestions to guide Lido and increase its value even more.

Conclusion:

Iā€™ve been a big Ethereum supporter since the moment I stepped into the blockchain ecosystem. Iā€™ve developed myself to benefit the ecosystem in various ways and now, as a Lido Lifeguard, I think I can make a great contribution to Ethereum and Lido. Iā€™m technically well-educated and have a good level of community communication through my roles. I look forward to contributing to this decentralized ecosystem and the future of Lido. :tada:

9 Likes

2024 - Q1 Community Lifeguard Report

This new year started on a high note with the Lifeguards leveraging their on-the-ground experiences to design and launch the Community Staking Fleet (CS Fleet) Initiative from scratch and represent Lido at conferences.

On a more bittersweet front, @Eridian will be stepping down as a Community Lifeguard (CL) to focus on the more technical aspects of the Community Staking Module (CSM). Even though weā€™ll still work very closely together, we (Enti & Stakesaurus) wish Eridian the best in his new adventure!

Community Staking Fleet Pilot:

With Simple DVT progressing onto Mainnet and the Community Staking Module approaching launch, we designed an initiative to serve as a flywheel to grow the number of home/solo stakers with the help of local communitiesā€”the Community Staking Fleet Pilot.

During Q1, we worked closely with the Community Staking team while interviewing local communities in our regions. For example, @enti interviewed 6 Latam community leaders and shared a written report with Lido contributors. Similarly, @Stakesaurus actively engaged SEA communities to gather on-the-ground feedback while designing the CS Fleet proposal. The goal was to understand the dynamics of local communities, how they typically engage their members, and how best to support them.

Applications for the Pilot phase opened on 15 February 2024, and we are heartened to have received 15 quality applicants from LATAM, the US, and SEA within a month.

The chosen communities for this pilot phase are Bitskewla, based in the Philippines with 10,000 active users, and The Mu @ Buenos Aires, a 6-week dev-focused pop-up city happening in Buenos Aires with 500+ registered users. We will work with them through Q2 to co-create activities that expand the talent pool of solo stakers in their respective regions and share updates on the CS Fleet forum thread.

This is an essential step as this program sets the foundations for establishing long-term relationships between the Lido DAO and Ethereum communities worldwide.

Regional analyses for CS Fleet

Now that the partner communities for the pilot phase have been chosen, the CLs will share their respective analyses for the regions they cover ahead of the main phase with two goals in mind.

1. Allow potential partner communities to understand our view of each region and the thought process behind the type of solo staking activities we are looking to co-create
  2. Invite on-the-ground feedback from communities in different markets to refine our approach and explore creative ideas for increasing the number of home/solo stakers together.

For our first analysis piece, @Stakesaurus presentsā€”Opportunities & Challenges of growing solo staking in Southeast Asia.

Lifeguards at conferences:

We have been helping to spread the word about Lido, community staking initiatives, and the importance of home/solo stakers for the Ethereum network!

Here are our appearances:

Southeast Asia

With a goal of creating net new solo stakers ahead of the launch of the Lido CSM product, Sam spoke at ETH Vietnam on ā€œBuilding solo staking communities in SEA.ā€ The core messages of the keynote were the emerging opportunities for home/solo stakers and how community builders can tap on CS Fleet to grow home/solo staking participation within their communities.

Some were concerned about whether their members would be entirely dependent on Lido for home staking. However, these were easily dispelled once they understood that their members could take their node operations skill set anywhere they wished.

Five high-quality candidates have expressed interest in participating in the main phase.

With that being said, solo staking is still highly misunderstood in Vietnam. Most participants at the conference held common misconceptions, such as being slashed for simply going offline. ā€œWhy not just liquid-stake with Binance/Lido/Coinbase?ā€ were the most common responses.

Almost all local participants are also unaware of bonded validator options that lower their financial barriers to entry and increase the yield of being a home staker. By the end of the conference, many were excited about the prospect of an ETH-only + low-bond validator option and participating in future cohorts of Simple DVT (if any).

Overall, much more work is needed from the ground up on solo staker education in Vietnam. Further, solo staking is comparatively slower-moving and ā€œboringā€ versus more exciting narratives (e.g. finding the next windfall meme coin, airdrops/points farming).

Hence, we must leverage the collective benefits across the solo staking landscape (LST & DVT optionality, airdrop potential) to encourage community builders to incorporate home/solo staking activities in their programming.

LATAM

On the road to ETHLatam, @enti attended several conferences, including Ethereum Lima and Ethereum El Salvador, where he connected with leaders and community members to gauge interest in home/solo staking and inform them about what was happening in Lido and all the opportunities. In our opinion, it is important that the communities see the Lido DAO as a welcoming and supportive place to grow their communities.

The icing on the cake was ETHLatam @ San Pedro Sula, Honduras, an annual conference co-created by Latam community leaders. It was full of university students, Ethereum students, community leaders, and seasoned contributors from top teams, such as L2s or Foundations, totalling more than 1100 attendees.

As Lido is a well-known entity in Ethereum, everyone was eager to chat and (respectfully) debate the contributions of Lido to the ecosystem and how communities should navigate this complex situation. With that in mind, @enti presented ā€˜Lido: Net positive or negative?ā€™, closing with the Community Staking initiatives and how everyone can take part in decentralizing Lido; the organizers of ETHLatam and I thought itā€™d be a rather interesting and high-value/impact presentation. We were not wrong; we had 10+ minutes of questions and several follow-ups from people interested in learning more.

Right after the presentation, @enti participated in a staking panel with contributors from Obol and MetaPool. We discussed staking in the context of individuals and communities in Latam, their challenges, and how they can leverage staking.

You can see both of them on this livestream from 00:18:00 to 1:15:00.

Simple DVT Support:

@Eridian continued actively supporting the Simple DVT trials throughout Q1, with hundreds of operators participating in both Obol and SSV trials. These trials push the frontier of DVT technology and provide important information for future operators. One interesting test was how many validators could run on a single NUC on a residential internet connection. @Eridian for example was able to run over 500 Holesky validators on SSV from a home staking setup with only a slight drop in performance. Pushing these limits allows the DVT protocols to optimize their clients to ensure home stakers are competitive with cloud providers such as AWS.

The results and summary of the Obol Simple DVT Testnet are summarized here: https://blog.lido.fi/simpledvt-obol-testnet-results

At the end of Q1, the shortlisted Obol clusters started to prepare for Mainnet, and their onboarding will be a major focus in Q2.

Increased participation from underrepresented regions in Simple DVT:

One of the goals and benefits of having CLs spread across the globe is helping increase the geographical diversity of node operators. On this front, we are proud to say that we are seeing good growth in applicants to Simple DVT Testnets from Latam, Africa/Middle East and Asia-Pacific.

Region Testnet 3 (%) Testnet 4 (%) Change
Europe 74 68.31 -5.69
North America 8.8 8.23 -0.57
Central/South America 1.2 5.35 +4.15
Africa/Middle East 0.8 2.47 +1.67
Asia-Pacific 15.2 15.64 +0.44

Testnet 4 saw the most applicants by a large margin, and in preparation for this, @Eridian and @Stakesaurus were enlisted to support the testing of integrating Simple DVT with the ETH-Docker stack.

We will also be supporting the participants of Testnet 4 throughout their journey.

Community Staking Content (podcasts, blog posts, and more):

The Community Staking content has served through the initiative as different avenues like podcasts or blog posts to share more nuanced information around Lido and the future of staking, shedding some light on the noise thatā€™s usually found on X/Twitter with a wide range of guests from the community.

The podcast series continued with @Eridian hosting episode 11. This episode takes a deep dive into the Community Staking Module, with @dgusakov discussing the reason behind the development of CSM and some of the early architecture assumptions for the module.

@Eridian also sat down with Spacesider, an Ethereum solo home staker and EthStaker contributor, in the Community Staking Q&A 4. Their discussion went from the very first time they heard of crypto in 2013 to falling in love with Ethereum and joining the Simple DVT trials.

Outside our scheduled content, we also made some appearances in several X Spaces:

Though not something the Lido community sees, the Community Lifeguards also spent time on weekly calls, with a weekly sync between Lifeguards and regular meetings with Lido DAO contributors. These meetings covered various topics, from presenting community ideas and initiatives to module design. We, as always, do our best to give feedback from solo stakers.

Community grants:

This first quarter of the year, we had SEEDLatam, a community in Latam, apply for a grant to do on-the-ground work creating an educational hub in Spanish that will then be used to collaborate with universities starting in Argentina, possibly expanding to the rest of Latam.

SEEDNode - Lido

Part of our mandate is to empower communities and individuals alike, and weā€™re happy to support this first of many community grants.

Eridian is stepping down from the Lifeguards initiative:

After nine months as the coordinator of the lifeguards, Eridian has decided to step down as his focus shifts towards more technical roles. Heā€™s done a lot for the Lido DAO in that time, helping shape and set the foundations for other Lifeguards to jump in, supporting Simple DVT trials, and creating lots of content in the form of blog posts, podcasts, workshops, and more! You can read his stepping-down message in this link.

Fees & Payment

For the contributions completed in Q1 2024, the CLs request that LEGO consider payment based on the individual performance of the Community Lifeguards to the Ethereum addresses:

@Eridian

0xaB402d5F93FdF5Ec1ADe26e9C295A04dDc522A06

@enti

0x06Fb051a46cC49D99Be778BDd6Dcd3519d3820db

@Stakesaurus

0xAC2bdb872655572f616879eB32E5fB81f336974c

7 Likes